The base at Ecauseville was started in 1916. Built by the Marine Nationale (French Navy), the air ships that were based here served to escort Allied convoys and to protect them from German Submarines (U-boats). During WW2, the hangar was used by the German army to store materials, including equipment used in the construction of the Atlantic wall. On the 10th of june 1944 the American 4th division took over the base after four days of fight. After the battle, the hangar became a maintenance facility for vehicles of the US Army.
© Danny "Viper" De Clercq